Monday, May 9, 2016

May, how the time flies



Good evening everyone.  I am writing for the first time in a long time.  And I coming to live from the friendly confines of the playhouse made famous from Arch and Chef visits about a month ago.  It is really big and spacious.  The kids love it, but it is also a good place to get some work done!  Here it goes...



I am quite embarrassed to say that I am not even sure where we left off, but here is where we are now. Blaise is gearing up for surgery.  The date is set, and has been few a bit now, May 18th.  Blaise will undergo his vascularize fibular transplant surgery.  This surgery is long, 6-8 hours, and conducted in 2 halves.  The first half is the removal of the femur, and eradication of the cancer!  Then the whole operating room is switch out, and the fibula is grafted and the blood vessels reattached.  Really complex, but we have some of the best doctors around working on it!  Here is what we're looking at...

1.) This is Blaise's left leg, his femur.  It's his most recent x-ray.  You can see his hip at the top

2.) That box is the area of his femur that will be removed.

3.) If you look closely, you can see a smaller rod like drawing in the center of his current femur.  It extents a bit further than the area being removed.  That is his transplanted fibula bone.

4.) Along the right side of his bone will be a metal plate.

5.) The squiggly lines are screws that will hold the plate in place.

6.) The incision on the upper leg, will be rather large.  It will look like an eye, because the doctors do not want to disturb the disease.  It will be sealed up with staples.

7.) This surgery will require a cast, obviously!  We were told it will extend just below the knee and wrap across his hips.  Kind of a big deal!  It will be on for 4-6 weeks.

8.) After the cast, Blaise will be in some type of full leg brace and non-weight bearing for a period of 6-9 months.




As a loyal 76ers fan, I fully "Trust the Process," but that does not mean I am mentally prepared for what that looks like.  I am beyond terrified of the immediate 4-6 weeks in a cast.  I am nervous because I do not want Blaise to get discourage, sad or upset at his limited abilities in this next stretch of time.  Just to give you an idea of what it will look like...

Amazing medical care in Arendelle
The team told he will most likely surprise us with how he gets a around.  And he has surprised us every step of the way.  So I guess there is no reason to doubt that he'll do it again this time.  But please keep those prayers coming.

Sunday June 12
One Sunday 6/12 I signed up to ride from the Ben Franklin Bridge to Atlantic City in the American Cancer Society Bridge-to-Beach ride.  I started a team Beat it Blaise, consider joining me on the ride.  Its 66 miles and is not to bad.  Honestly, I have done it a few times, even my dad has done it!  It cost about $200 to ride, $80 to sign up and mandatory $100 fundraising, but it is fully supported and rest stops are plentiful.  I am not asking for extra donations, but feel free to do so.  I am hoping to get a shirt order in so we can ride in style too!

Other Updates!
We took Annie to Anthony's at Paxon Hollow for brunch yesterday for Mother's Day.  It was delicious.  And Blaise and Lucy behaved for about 10 minutes of it!  They much preferred the golf course...


A belated happy Mother's Day to all our readers!

Blaise and Lucy have taken up bowling!






















Blaise was also the honorary champion at the Go for the Goal annual Richard's Run a few weeks back.  Go for the Goal is a foundation started by a Camden Catholic family I was able to work with during my years there.  My old principal encouraged me to get in touch with them and they have been great resources for us!  Check them out here!  Blaise may have been the honorary champions but Nonie and Big Bob Davis were the actual losers, coming in last place in the event!

Picture from Go for the Goal Facebook

Also, a big congratulations to Lauren and Ed.  Great time at your wedding!  As Blaise says, "Lauren and Ed, true love!"


I think that is all I got for now.  Blaise and Lucy are looking forward to some special visitors Wednesday, so maybe another blog post coming soon!  Until next time...